If you're searching how to make your tape-in hair extensions last longer, then you're not alone! Tape-in extensions are a popular choice for those looking to add length and volume to their hair. As you've probably learned by reading our Ultimate Guide To Tape-In Hair Extensions, this hair extension method is a favorite for women who want perfect locks on the go.
However, many women find that their seamless wefts don't last as long as they'd like because they were not cared for properly. They want to learn ways to take care of their extensions better so that they can avoid spending a lot of money on replacement hair.
Achieve Easy, Seamless Style
If you're like most people, you probably have a lot of things to do and don't have too much time focusing only on your hair. That's why tape-ins are such a great option! They are easy to use and last for weeks at a time. And, there are a few things you can do to make sure your extensions last even longer. If you're in need of the best tape-ins? Click below!
In this blog, we will give you some tips on how to make your tape extensions last longer starting from day one. We will talk about:
- How to properly install tape-in hair extensions
- Hair care products for your tape-ins
- How to shampoo your tape hair extensions correctly
- How to brush your hair with tape-in hair extensions installed
- Using styling products with your tape-ins
- Sleeping with extensions in your hair
- Swimming and working out with your tape extensions
Choosing high quality tape hair extensions
When you decide to get tape extensions that you want to last long, the first thing you need to do is to get the right hair extensions from the start. You’d want to make sure that the hair extensions you buy are of good quality. Choosing low quality extensions will only lead you to waste your precious time, money, and effort down the road.
High quality tape hair extensions have good durability but are still comfortable for everyday use. They feel light on your real hair so you don’t even notice them. If you’re looking for high quality tape in hair extensions, look no further!
Curly Tape-In Hair
How to properly install tape-in hair extensions
Now that you have your high quality extensions, you’ll need to decide how to install them. For many women who opt to use hair extensions in adding length and volume to their hair, tape extensions are a popular choice because they are relatively easy to install. They can also last 6 weeks or more before reinstallation depending on the person’s hair growth.
Keep in mind that it is important for your tape-in extensions to be installed correctly in order to avoid damage to your own hair. For this reason, it is advisable that you have a professional stylist install your extensions for you. Your hairstylist is trained to apply your tape-ins while ensuring that they preserve your own hair. A stylist is very helpful especially if you are still new to wearing hair extensions. Just bring your high-quality tape-ins to a hair salon near you and your stylist can do the work for you.
GET A FREE CONSULTATION
Bay Area Customers
Perfect Locks have our very own hair extensions salon for our customers. Located at Walnut Creek, California, we are serving customers in and around the Bay Area. Book a consultation and learn about how our experts can help you!
Even if you aren’t new to hair extensions, it’s still an advantage to know how to install them the right way. Here are some tips on how to do so:
- Start by selecting the right tools. You will need a tail comb, some pliers, scissors, and a mirror that’s positioned well so you can see your back. You will also need to prepare a variety of hair extensions in your desired style.
- You can consult with a licensed hairstylist to determine the best placement for the extensions based on your hair texture.
- Wash and dry your hair. Since you will be using adhesive to stick your extensions, it’s important to have your own hair clean from any oils and dirt. You can use a clarifying shampoo for hair extensions to clean your locks before applying your tape-ins.
- Part your hair in horizontal sections to give way to where you want to apply the tape. Use your tail comb and your handy mirror to create a seamless section of hair.
- Peel the adhesive seal attached to your extensions. Then, using the pliers, carefully attach the extensions to the sections of your natural hair. You can create a “sandwich” by placing your extensions above and under your parted hair. Note that the tape-ins are usually 1.5 inches wide. Be sure not to put the tape too close to your hair roots since this can lead to excessive pulling and breakage of your real hair.
- If you want a stronger hold, you can use a hot iron to apply heat briefly to your extensions. However, it’s good to note that many people find applying heat as unnecessary, especially if you already have great quality extensions on hand.
- Repeat the steps above as you work your way up in sections and in the sides of your head. Do this until you reach your desired hair volume.
- Finally, use the scissors if you want to trim any excess tape in extension material for that perfect blend of extensions and real hair.
Now that you know the proper steps to install tape-in extensions, you can probably see why it’s best to have your hairstylist do it for you. Installing the weft on your own can take a lot of time to make sure that you’re doing it right.
With the proper care and installation, tape-in hair extensions can help you achieve the look you desire without damaging your natural hair.
Best shampoo for tape-in extensions
If you're thinking about getting tape-in extensions, there's one thing you need to know: they require a different kind of shampoo than your regular old drugstore variety. No, you can't just use whatever's sitting in your shower caddy. They are often loaded with sulfates and harsh chemicals that will damage the bonds that keep your extensions in place.
Instead, you need to invest in a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo that will cleanse your hair without stripping it of its natural oils. Remember that those extensions aren't connected to your scalp, so they're more prone to damage if you strip them with harsh shampoos.
How do you shampoo your tape-in extensions correctly?
If you're considering tape-in extensions, you have to know that they need to be shampooed in a very specific way to avoid damaging the bonds and ruining your investment. Some may even advise you to shampoo your hair upside down. Of course, this is entirely up to you. But, it will help if you do not rub your scalp with too much shampoo. Here are some tips for shampooing to make your hair extensions last longer:
- First, wet your hair thoroughly and apply a small amount of shampoo to your scalp. Gently massage the shampoo into your scalp, then rinse thoroughly. Never "ball and lather" or roughly scrub while you are shampooing.
- Next, tilt your head forward and shampoo your hair from the roots to the tips, using a downward motion. When you're finished shampooing, gently squeeze excess water from your hair (don't wring it out), then apply conditioner starting only from mid-length to your hair ends.
- Rinse the conditioner out with cool water, then blot your hair dry with a towel. It’s advisable to air dry your hair since using heat may damage the tape and cause your extensions to slip.
If you like using dry shampoo in the summer to give your hair a break, you can absolutely use dry shampoo with tape-ins and it won't hurt them. But, if you prefer washing your hair with water, use Perfect Locks’ sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to keep your extensions lasting longer. Check out our hair care mega bundle set!
How do you brush your hair with tape-in extensions?
While tape extensions are generally low-maintenance, they still require care and attention to ensure that they remain healthy and looking their best. One of the most important things you can do for your tape-ins is to brush your hair regularly with a hair extension loop brush. This genius tool not only brushes your hair without snagging or pulling, but it also seamlessly attaches extensions to your natural hair. The best part? The bristles are made from super-soft synthetic fibers so you won’t have to worry about damaging your delicate strands.
- Because hair becomes weaker when wet, always brush before you shower. Or, wait until your hair dries completely. You can start from the bottom and work your way up, gently straightening any knots or tangles.
- When you reach the top, be careful not to pull on the bonds too sharply, as this could cause the extensions to come loose.
We recommend brushing at least twice a day - morning and night. When you do, gently press the sandwich of tape together all over your head, it helps ensure a nice firm bond for months to come.
Using styling products with tape extensions
We're often asked if you can style your tape-ins just like your normal hair and the answer is yes! Tape extensions are very versatile; you can still curl them or style them however you want. But, there are some rules you’d want to follow if you want to maintain their quality for longer.
You should avoid using any styling products that contain alcohol or sulfate as they can weaken the adhesive bond.
Avoid rubbing oil products to your roots or scalp. Scalp oils can also loosen the tape bond if used too heavily or too often. If you do want to apply serums or oils to keep the shine of your extensions, limit applying them on mid length up to your hair ends.
You can use leave-in conditioners to help keep your hair from tangling and frizzing, and prevent split ends. However, similar to serums, it’s best not to apply conditioner to your scalp since they can weaken the tape.
If you're going to be using curling or flattening iron, ALWAYS use a heat protectant spray. When you use heat often, it shortens the lifespan of your extensions.
Sleeping with tape-in hair extensions installed
Yes! Tape in hair extensions are not like clip-ins. They stay in for up to 6 weeks or even more, so don't pick, poke or prod them at the end of the day. Just sleep as normal or you can tie your hair in a loose braid before sleeping for less tangling through the night. You can also use a bonnet or silk pillowcase if you want to make sure your hair and tape-in extensions don't become tangled or frizzy.
Perfect Locks’ Satin-Silk Pillowcase protects your hair extensions from tugging while you are on your beauty rest. Shop now to feel the difference of 100% ultra soft satin-silk!
Swimming and working out with tape-in hair extensions
Sweating, running, jogging, biking or any other kind of workout won't hurt your tape extensions at all. If you're planning on swimming with hair extensions, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
- While clip-in extensions have to be taken out, tape hair extensions can be worn when swimming in the pool or ocean. However, it is best not to drench your hair for too long in the water to help protect your tape-ins. And when you’re done swimming, make sure to be very gentle when drying your hair.
- If you’re swimming in the pool or in the sea, remember that the chlorine or the salt is not good for your extensions. To help with this, you can apply a leave-in conditioner before you take a dip as this can protect your hair from the chlorine or salt. You can also wear a swimming cap to protect the tapes from damage.
- If you have any loose strands of hair, it's best to tie them back or clip them up so they don't get tangled.
- Finally, although you can keep your tape-in hair extensions while swimming, regular swimming means that you will also need to wash your hair often. You want to keep this in mind since washing your extensions too often can cause the tapes to slip.
It’s great that tape extensions still allow you to enjoy a swim. And, taking these precautions will help ensure that your tape-ins stay in good condition even after a dip in the pool or ocean.
How long can tape-in hair extensions last?
If you take care of them well, tape-in hair extensions will last around 6 to 8 weeks (2 months) before you will need to have them removed, re-taped and reapplied by your hairstylist. A visit to your hair salon is needed at this point because you'll need to re-adjust your tapes as your hair has grown. Your hairdresser will need a pack or two of high-quality replacement tape to complete the reinstallation process.
Many women find tape-in hair extensions a great option to save time and money. And, when you take care of your tape extensions, you can get more of your money’s worth since they are reusable. By following these simple tips, you can prolong the life of your tape extensions and enjoy beautiful, long-lasting hair.
Take charge of your hair extension journey. Shop Perfect Locks’ tape-in extensions for beautiful, long-lasting hair that stands out!