When World War II came to a close, the materials that were absorbed by the war effort (such as nylon), were free once again for the public’s consumption. Nylon was put to work in new ways…such as the development of artificial hair extension pieces to offer a little “flair” to hairstyles. Thankfully the scarcity of real human hair ended once new trade opportunities opened up with India and the world was introduced to Indian Remy Hair (the kind we use). For so many reasons it is the superior quality of hair where hair extensions are concerned, giving you the most realistic look (because it’s real hair!) and highest degree of satisfaction.
How can I tell if the hair is synthetic?
Synthetic hair extensions can sometimes be marketed as real hair (it’s not). For some unscrupulous dealers, synthetic hair is mixed in with real hair to save costs and maximize profit. The easiest way to tell is if the hair has a burning smell with being styled with a flat iron. What gives synthetic hair away is the shiny “fishing line” look to it. Synthetic hair is cheap, but doesn’t last long are sensitive to the sun, quickly photo-aging and fading.
- Synthetic hair extensions are prone to product build-up, so you can’t use styling products with them
- They also can’t be colored and put through any chemical processes like real hair can, such as perming.
- As mentioned before, you can’t use thermal styling tools on them. Blow dryers, flat irons and curling irons will melt synthetic hair.
What is Remy Hair?
Remy hair extensions are made from human hair that is collected from one source or donor. The hair cuticles (small scales of keratin that make up the top layer of hair) are intact and undamaged and all are aligned in one direction. Extensions made with Remy hair contains some short hair with a natural taper at the end that gives you a very natural looking hairstyle.
- Remy hair is strong and holds up to hair color and chemical processing.
- It is tangle-resistant and you can create any hairstyle you’d like
What is Non-Remy Hair?
Non-Remy hair is still real human hair, but it’s collected from multiple sources, without being properly sorted.
- The cuticles that make up the keratin layer of hair aren’t sorted from root to end, so the scales are in opposite directions, leading to hair that tangles and damages easily.
- It can be sold in its raw state, but also as a finished product to fix the cuticle layer problem just mentioned.
- During finishing, the cuticle layer is chemically stripped off and the hair is coated in silicone to make it look healthy again. This silicone however doesn’t last long, washing away after a few showers, leaving the hair dry and frizzy.
Here at Perfect Locks, we only uses 100% ethically sourced Remy Hair, gathered direct from temples in India ethically during the ritual of tonsure. We only select the best hair from the temples.