Today, companies have formulated color that is controlled by extremely subtle and fine-tuned chemistry, but we have craved to express ourselves with color in our hair since ancient times. In fact, researches analyzing hair from Rameses II in Egypt discovered that they used to color their hair with henna. The Greeks and Romans? Well, they used vegetable extracts derived from walnuts and elderberries, as well as minerals and metals such as lead, mercury or copper, and even animal matter in the form of burnt ant's eggs! It wasn’t until the 19th century that hair color, as we know it today when pigments first used in the dyeing of wool, began to be adapted for coloring human hair.
Thankfully we’ve come a long way since then! While technology has changed, the desire has not. Today every gal loves to express herself in color, sometimes it’s by adding a few highlights or lowlights to give you that dimensional hair look that is so trendy in Hollywood. When it colored hair extensions, 100% Human Remy Hair is no different in terms of the color process, but not every company is the same in their method.
HOW WE ACHIEVE PERFECT PIGMENTS
We take great pride in our 6 step process to ensure that when WE color your hair you get a Perfect Pigment every time!
- STEP 1: It starts by using real human hair. We purchase our Remy hair direct from the temples in India where it is collected during the tonsure ritual. This process is essentially selecting bundles of hair from large collected lots, but not all hair donated by the women during the ritual is the same.
- STEP 2: We carefully select visually different bundles of hair to identify the healthiest hair to start with. This ensures not only that the hair that makes its way to you is the best, but also that it holds on to color for the longest period of time. Healthy hair keeps color longer…it’s that simple.
- STEP 3: At our factory, we carefully sort hair by natural tones. During most of the months of the year, Indian hair can vary from dark black to medium brown, but during the summer the hair will be lighter from the sun. We separate the bundles with lighter hair and ideally, grey hair is used to create lighter shades with all other bundles being used for darker shades.
- STEP 4: Many companies will use harsh pigments, heavily laden with chemicals that not only fade fast but also will destroy the hair cuticle just like it would your own hair. We take great pride in a careful coloring process that treats your add-on hair as gently as if it was attached to your head. For darker shades, we employ a direct coloring process to achieve the deepest and richest tones. When it comes to lighter colors, we take that process one step further…
- STEP 5: When it comes to bleaching, our selection process for hair becomes incredibly important as healthier hair handles chemical processing with less long term damage than already damaged hair. We start in small batches, bleaching the lighter color hair, or ideally grey hair that is naturally losing melanin. As the process occurs, we continually check the integrity of the strands to ensure that during removal of the pigment that hair isn’t becoming damaged. If it is, we toss it from the batch!
- STEP 6: Once the hair is prepped for color, we color it the same way a stylist does in a salon or you do at home, but the color we use matters! Our gentle hair color will deliver buttery blondes or rich chestnuts with deeper, rich tonality and shine without relying on harsh chemicals.
While time has moved on since the days when we’d be processing with henna, we treat your hair no differently than you were sitting in our chair and we were coloring it on your head. In other words, our commitment to quality is geared to have you look in the mirror at your new look and simply say, “Perfect!”