Fall and winter trends may include new hairstyles, but attempting to execute trends wouldn’t be possible without healthy hair. As the temperature drops and the air becomes less humid, hair loses its moisture, shine, texture, volume, and can become dry and brittle. Olive oil is a great hair care treatment to combat the winter elements. You may be thinking: “But my hair tends to be oily already!” The truth is-high quality oils actually regulate the production of sebum, the oily substance secreted by the sebaceous glands to make skin and hair waterproof and keep them from drying out. High quality oils also prevent your hair from becoming too oily or too dry, which makes olive oil a hair care necessity for fall and winter.
Olive Oil as a Hot Oil Treatment:
Olive oil can leave hair shiny, moisturized, and frizz-free. Here's how to use olive oil as a hot oil treatment:
1. Heat up approximately half a cup of oil in the microwave (do not overheat!)
2. Rub a little of the heated olive oil on your palms and, beginning at the roots, gently pull your fingers through the hair.
3. Leave the oil in for at least 30 minutes before washing your hair.
Olive Oil as a Scalp Treatment:
If you have scalp issues such as hair loss or dandruff, this method is the solution for you. To use olive oil as a scalp treatment:
1. Apply olive oil to your scalp only and gently massage for a few minutes. Massaging the oil increases blood flow to the scalp and can stimulate hair growth.
2. If you have dandruff, add a drop or 2 of tea tree oil to the olive oil before massaging the scalp.
3. After you have massaged your scalp, cover your hair with a plastic bag or hot towel to help the oil at work before washing your hair.
Olive Oil for Split Ends and Frizzy Hair:
Hair can become frizzy when it loses moisture and the ends of your hair can split. You can massage your hair with olive oil to reduce your hair’s frizziness and increase its shine, or apply the oil to the tips of your hair only to prevent split ends.