Step by Step Makeup Application for a Beautiful and Radiant Complexion
The Beauty Department offers great advice in their makeup order post in regards to the order that it is best to put your makeup on, so we thought we would echo some of their ideas in this post and also apply our own advice as well. Even though there is no set order that you have to follow to put on your makeup, coming up with your own way of applying your makeup (or following these steps), is recommended. After all, we are creatures of habit so naturally you probably have your own beauty regimen that you swear by. If you do, that’s great! If you don’t and are curious what are the “correct steps” are, read on to find out!
Step by Step Makeup
- Moisturizer or BB Cream – First you need to find a favorite moisturizer that you love. Using a moisturizer that is either an all-in-one moisturizer, SPF, and more (which is what BB Cream is), or using a moisturizer that has SPF in it is recommended. Providing the right moisture to your face prior to applying the rest of your makeup will help your makeup set and it look nice throughout the day.
- Foundation – If you use foundation opt for a natural foundation that will enhance the coloring of your face and will also feed your skin with vitamins and natural anti-oxidants. Bare Essentials is a great brand to try because the foundation is from the minerals of the earth and is made for sensitive skin that may break out easily.
- Bronzer or Cream Blush – Depending on your preference, use either a bronzer or a blush (or both), on your face. A bronzer can be used on your entire face and will provide a natural glow, especially if you have lighter skin. If you prefer to use a cream blush, depending on the product (Tarte offers a cream blush stick), you can either use your fingers or use your stick to apply the blush. If you use your fingers gently apply a hint of the blush on the apples of your cheeks for a natural blush. The Beauty Shop recommends you apply your blush or bronzer before your eye makeup because after you look at your pretty complexion you’ll most likely realize that you don’t really need that much eye makeup or lipstick for that matter.
- Lipstick and Lipbalm – We’re noticing a huge trend of tinted lipbalm, which is great for your lips because it provides extra moisture and protection (if it has SPF) that normally does not come in lipstick! Now tinted lip balm is a hot commodity and it is super easy to apply! This is yet another step that we recommend you do before your eye makeup because after applying a natural lip balm you may be satisfied with how your makeup looks right now. You may discover that you prefer not to have any eye makeup at all on your pretty face.
- Eye shadow – It is now time to apply an eye shadow, and just like your cream blush, cream eye shadow is also very popular. Depending on how long you will be out and about, applying a shadow base or primer first will help prevent creases in your eye shadow. After you apply your eyelid primer, use your finger (make sure to wash your hands prior to application), and apply your cream, brown, or turquoise shade of eye shadow for an effortless look.
- Eyeliner - As we mentioned above, you don’t have to apply eyeliner unless you feel like it. It certainly is fun to apply for a fun weekend look though! Use your favorite eyeliner (Stila is a great brand) and use it on the bottom and top of your eyes or either one depending your mood. If it is too defined underneath your lashes you can always use a cu-tip to smudge the lines for a smoky night time look.
- Soft Mascara – Did you know that there is a trick to maintaining soft mascara? Instead of applying mascara that will make your eyelashes look clumpy in the middle of the day, first press your wand into a tissue to eliminate any excess mascara. This will prevent mid-day clumping and your eyes will look fresh and bright. It’s also important to replace your mascara every month or so. Having mascara around too long will increase the clumps and it will also be harder to apply.