You want to put your best face forward. From glam nights out to work days to cleaning up around the house, bumps, dark circles, dullness, and wrinkles are not a part of your plan. But in this tough economy, neither are expensive acne skin care systems, anti-aging skin care creams, dermal fillers, or plastic surgery. So what’s the average, cost-conscious woman to do?
Some answers are already lying around your house, believe it or not. Filling a range of needs, these basic skin care products can help you put your best face forward without breaking the bank:
- Toothpaste. You already know it cleans your teeth. But did you know that toothpaste can be an excellent spot-treatment for acne? The next time you see or feel a blemish coming it, nip it in the bud by gently cleansing your face, then dabbing on just enough toothpaste to cover the zit. Smooth it on, but don’t rub too roughly, and it will start to tingle right away. Within a few days to a few minutes, depending on the extent of the problem and your skin type, the pimple should be ancient history. The cheapest acne skin care on the market.
- Toothbrush. Your toothbrush can also do double-duty—even triple-duty—as a beauty tool. After you brush your teeth at night, rinse the toothbrush out and brush your lips lightly. That’s right, brush your lips. The wet bristles will sweep away dead skin cells, as well as leftover toothpaste or mouthwash, which can be drying, and leave behind water—hydration! Just slick on Vaseline or lip balm afterward to seal in the moisture, and you’ll wake up with beautifully smooth, kissable lips. This also works during the day, of course. And once the bristles get fuzzy, you can use it to smooth down the edges of your hair or neaten your eyebrows. Talk about buying power.
- Shea butter. Pure shea butter works wonders as a night moisturizer, sun protectant, anti-aging balm, and under-eye treatment. Rub it between your fingertips until well melted, then apply all over your face and under your eyes just before bed. You’ll have moisturized skin in the morning, and well into your older years, without greasy buildup or that shiny, greasy look. This natural skin care treatment also keeps dark circles and crows’ feet away, and reduces under-eye puffiness before it even starts!
- Powdered milk. You never thought this stuff would come in handy, right? Wrong! Powdered milk (whole or reduced-fat) makes a great skin-tightening mask. Simply mix 1 part water to 2 parts milk—about enough to make a gel or paste; not too runny—and apply to the face. Let it sit for five to ten minutes; you should start to feel the tightening, and when you rinse it off, your skin will be smooth and supple as a baby’s.
- Baking soda. A miracle substance. Along with powdered milk and dozens of other Get-Pretty Kitchen Items (coming soon), baking soda makes for a smart facial cleanser and scrub, among other uses. Just mix a pinch or two with a few drops of water, making a paste again. Then massage the mixture into your skin in a circular motion; rinse and scrub away dead skin you didn’t even know you had. Not harsh at all, this natural skin care recipe won’t scrape or scar your skin, but only leave your face refreshed, glowing, and tingling!