How to Care for Your Black Hair – 10 Tips to Remember
Keeping your natural hair in great condition takes work and that’s why learning all about your hair and how to keep it looking great is essential. Having hair that’s damaged is never fun, so instead work hard to keep your hair looking healthy and shiny. There are several tips that will help you achieve lovely locks that you will enjoy showing off during the summer time and beyond. Here are some tips to think about so that your hair will look lovely:
- It’s important to shy away from using shampoos and conditioners that have any sulfates and other ingredients that will strip your hair. These types of products will cause excessive dryness, which will lead to split ends and damaged hair.
- Another ingredient to avoid is propylene glycol. This ingredient breaks down the natural proteins in your hair, resulting in damaged hair. Protect the cellular structure of your hair and read the ingredients onÂ product bottles before purchasing them.
- Sunshine is important for hair growth. Go outside and enjoy sunshine for at least 15 minutes a day. This will result in faster growing hair and plus the vitamin D from the sun will keep your hair, skin, and nails healthy as well.
- Have you drank enough water lately? Drink 4-7 ounces of water daily to stay healthy and have shiny looking hair.
- Like styling your hair with natural hairstyles such as a kinky hair twist, braid, locks, braid outs, or tree braids? Find a spray bottle and put water in it. Next, mix the water with olive oil or tea tree oil for added moisture and apply this mixture to your scalp two to three times a week. This will make your hair easier to style and it will also keep your locks healthy too.
- Search for herbal shampoos because they help African American’s hair retain its moisture. It also will also help hair grow quickly because of the natural ingredients. Shampoo your hair up to 1-2 times a week since you’re not dealing with ingredients that will harm your hair.
- Additional natural hair products include jojoba oil, tea tree oil, shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and more. Find natural products to use on your locks and your hair will maintain it’s natural sheen. It also will look very healthy as well!
- Stay away from products that have alcohol in them. Your hair probably already is dry, so alcohol will only dry it out further. Anything that has alcohol or getting chemical perms, for example, will dry your hair out even more.
- When brushing out your hair, use a wide teeth comb to comb out your hair and remove any tangles.
- Trim your hair every 4-6 months to maintain a healthy hairstyle. This will also get rid of split ends and keep your hair in excellent condition.